Sometimes there is a need to retrospectively certify existing structures or equipment. This is done by determining their load rating and Dynamic Engineering Consultants can assist you to do this. In broad terms, the procedure to do this is broken up in the following steps:
- Measure up existing structure or model from drawings
- Determine grade of materials of construction
- Model in 3D or use SPACE GASS structural analysis
- Apply loads and load cases in accordance with the relevant Australian Standard. Latest versions of the Australians can be purchased here.
- Iteratively calculate the load that would lead to compliance with the standards
- Record load rating in a calculation report
- Perform actual load testing if required
- Provide nameplate/marking of structure.
Examples of structures on which Dynamic Engineering have applied this process are: monorail structures, maintenance stands, jib cranes, platforms, winches etc.
Above a fabricated welding rotating jig is shown. The picture below shows the 3D model, ready to be analysed with Finite Element Analysis by applying loads and constraints to find the highest stresses and deflections.
All work are done to Australian Standards. Do you have similar equipment which needs to be certified? Please contact us to discuss how we can assist you. If you like to know more about our certification services, please click here.